President, North American Lutheran Seminary
Associate Professor of Liturgy and Homiletics
PhD, The Graduate Theological Union
MDiv, Luther Northwestern Theological Seminary
MMus, Northwestern University
BMus, Arizona State University
- Hymnody and Liturgical Music
- 20th-21st Century Homiletic Theories
- The Law/Gospel Dialectic
- Eucharistic Prayer and Theology
- Pastoral Formation
- Liturgical and Ritual Studies: lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi
- “Our Joy That Has No End: On Why the Resurrection of Jesus Matters,” Connections (Sola Publishing) March/April 2016.
- “Song and Hymn Selection: Singing the Faithful into Life,” in A Teaching Hymnal Ecumenical and Evangelical, Eugene, OR: Cascade Books/Wipf and Stock, 2016.
- “Knowing the Bible Through the Liturgy: The Holy Scripture as Doxology,” in Rightly Handling the Word of Truth: Scripture, Canon, Creed, ed. Carl E. Braaten, Delhi, NY: 2015.
- “Living Together in Sacred Time: North American Lutherans and the Liturgical Year,” Currents in Theology and Mission, vol. 42, no. 4 (Oct. 2015): 298-303.
- “Learning to Pray,” Lutheran Forum, vol. 49, no. 3 (Spring 2015): 19-21.
- “Life for Families of Criminals and the Convicted” LifeDate, Winter 2013.
- “Praying Psalm 139 through the Resurrected One,” Lutheran Forum, vol. 47, no. 3. (Fall 2013): 14-17.
- “A Primer for Presiders: Your Body in Worship,” Let’s Talk: Living Theology in the Metropolitan Chicago Synod, Easter 2013, Volume 18, Issue 2.
- “A Resurrection Hermeneutic: Law and Gospel in Preaching and Worship,” in Preaching and Teaching the Law and Gospel of God, ed. Carl E. Braaten, Delhi, NY: American Lutheran Publicity Bureau, 2013, 141-162.
- “Song and Hymn Selection: Singing the Faithful into Life,” in A Teaching Hymnal Ecumenical and Evangelical, Eugene, OR: Cascade Books/Wipf and Stock, 2012.
- “Preaching the Lectionary,” Selected Homilies, University of Mary, Center for Christian Leadership, http://www.clcumary.com/ and Gottinger Predigten, http://www.predigten.uni-goettingen.de/.
- “Womb: the Sanctuary of Mercy,” in The Lake Louise Commission: The Sacred Family, Delhi, NY: American Lutheran Publicity Bureau, 2011, 59-80.
- Book Review of Preaching the Revised Common Lectionary: A Guide by Gail R. O’Day and Charles Hackett, Abingdon, 2007. Sacramental Life, Volume 22, Number 1 (Winter 2010).
- Give Us Lips to Sing Thy Glory: The Performative Exegesis of the Word through Preaching and Hymnody, VDM: Germany, 2010.
- Book Review of Treasury of Daily Prayer, Edited by Scot A. Kinneman, St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 2008. Worship, Volume 84, Number 1 (January 2010).
- “Bodies and the Body,” Lutheran Forum, November 2009.
- “Delight, Design, and Destiny: Toward a Doxological Ethics of Sexuality,” Let’s Talk: Living Theology in the Metropolitan Chicago Synod, Pentecost 2009, Volume 14, Issue 1.
- “Meanings of Music,” Review of A New Song for an Old World: Musical Thought in the Early Church by Calvin R. Stapert, Lutheran Forum (Winter 2008).
- “Holiness is God’s Alone: The Heritage of Luther’s Use of Hymns in the Western Rite,” The Cresset, Valparaiso University (Lent 2008).
- Lectionary Worship Workbook, Series III: Cycle A, CSS, Lima: Ohio, 2001; 2nd ed. 2007.
- “Response to (Gwen) Sayler—Liturgical Texts, Ritual Power, and God’s Glory: The Deconstruction of a Homosexual Identity through the Lens of a Doxological Anthropology,” dialog, Vol. 44, no. 1 (Spring 2005): 90-92.
- “A Sacramentality of Design: The Marriage Rite as Performative Exegesis,” Lutheran Forum, Vol. 38 (Winter 2004): 16-20.
- “Ritualizing Life or Ritualizing Death,” in Christian Sexuality: Normative and Pastoral Principles, ed. Russell Saltzmann, Minneapolis: Kirkhouse Publishing, 2003, 59-72.
- “On the Eve of All Saints: Celebrating the Reformation in an Ecumenical Age,” Word and World, Vol. XXI, no. 4 (Fall 2001): 425-427.
- “Thunder and Trumpets: Preaching Helps for the Easter Season,” Currents in Theology and Mission, Vol. 25, no. 1 (February 1999): 68-82.
- “Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome her: women and wisdom,” Word & World, Vol. VII, no. 3 (Summer 1987): 292-297.