The Certificate of Lutheran Studies (CLS) is a non-credit, non-degree program of Trinity School of Ministry and the North American Lutheran Seminary. It consists of six online courses in the theological disciplines delivered entirely online.
Typically, a student registered in the CLS program is a lay leader in an NALC house church or an established congregation. CLS courses are intended to enhance the faith and knowledge of the NALC laity in order to strengthen the mission of local congregations. CLS students are encouraged to seek out local pastors for mentorship and support.
The CLS will be awarded upon the successful completion of 6 courses:
- OTNC10 Survey of the Old Testament (Offered through Trinity School for Ministry)
- NTNC10 Survey of the New Testament (Offered through Trinity School for Ministry)
- CHNC10 Survey of Church History (Offered through Trinity School for Ministry)
- STNC10 Introduction to Systematic Theology (Offered through Trinity School for Ministry)
- CHNC17 The Lutheran Tradition
- DINC10 Evangelism, Discipleship and the Ministries of Caring (Offered through Trinity School for Ministry)
These courses are non-credit and may not be transferred into any degree or diploma program at Trinity. The courses are taught consecutively on a trimester system [Jan-Apr; May-Aug; Sep-Dec].
Fall Admission: August 1
Spring Admission: December 1
Summer Admission: May 1
Thank you for your interest in applying to one of our certificate programs! To apply, all applicants must
- Complete and submit an online application
- Submit all other required admissions documents as listed in the Application Checklist
Before you begin, please download and thoroughly review the Application Checklist below. The Checklist will provide you with detailed instructions regarding what documents are required for the completion of your application.
Once you have reviewed the Application Checklist, please select the Apply Now icon below to begin your online application. Once you have submitted your online application, you will be given access to a personal admissions portal where you can view the current status of your application and upload application documents.
Questions? Contact our office by email or by phone at 724-385-8000.